Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Graduation doll

Graduation doll..

Well, it's been almost six months since my husband graduated from UC Davis with a PhD , but somehow I delayed writing a blog about this graduation doll I made. That's too bad of me , I was busy moving from California to Texas  and after that I kept knitting dolls and writing blogs about those and now since my other projects are in work in progress just thought I will finish  writing about the graduation doll finally :)

This doll was a Gift from my side to my husband to show my appreciation for his achievements and also to reminisce the past in future when I look at this doll. Even though he thinks its not a big deal, I would have been very happy and proud to see him walk on graduation day wearing his gown and hat and receiving his doctorate ,but somehow he was not interested to walk since he felt his biggest achievement is yet to come and  I believe what he believes that is about achieving his other achievements. 

I did not feel so bad that he did not walk since I have already seen him walking at Indian institute of technology ( IIT ) Mumbai when he received his  Mtech degree.  It was such a great honor to step inside the  IIT and to sit in the auditorium and see him walk and receive his degree. Lakshmi Mitthel was the chief guest that day. I was very proud to be a part of that ceremony.

Since he did not walk I decided to make  a graduation doll myself. I crocheted the basic doll, with a big head and a small body. This was deliberate so that the gown will fit well and I love doll with big head and small body it looks funny and cute. I bought the gown from UC Davis book store made by jewels boutique . I love all the paper crafts and other things from jewels boutique they are fantastic . I also purchased spectacles , nose and mustache made by jewels boutique . I put the gown first to the body and then sewed the head and stuck all the honors and pinned the UC Davis alumni pin on the gown. I embroidered the eyes and stuck the glasses, nose and mustache with glue. I stuck the mustache even though my husband doesn't have one just to show that the person  is old by the time he received his doctorate , even though my husband got his doctorate at the age of 29 which is not that old. My husband wanted me to make a beard fir the doll but i did not like the idea. I stuck double honors on his gown since he received an MS degree as well along with his doctorate. 

Man ! I am quite proud of him , the five years I spent in UC Davis was the most wonderful time ever, I just loved the university life,living in the university apartment, enjoying the bagel breakfast on every first day of spring in the community center, pizza nights once in a while, walking in the arboretum , going to UCD book store, volunteering in the Women center library. The librarian there became my friend and she admired my dolls and jewelry and purchased those  from me. Going to the International house on Wednesday mornings to attend connections where I met some nice and talented people  and later my husband and I became the care takers of that place which was a unique experience . University life is something only those who experience will know. If I go on I can write a novel about it , but I want to put a full stop now.  Recently I read a novel called ' The Lowland ' by Jumpha Lahiri  , which talks a lot about the university life in the US. I also can relate myself to her another novel called 'The Namesake'. Another university based novel that I am reading now is ' On Beauty ' by Zadie Smith. My favorite lines so far in the book is a dialogue spoken by a wife to her prof . Husband  and it goes like this, ' You know what's weird ? Is that you can  get someone who is a professor of one thing and then is just so intensely stupid about everything else? 
I am going to save this line in my memory :) 

Have a good one ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment