Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Miss. Polka Dot


Greetings! Crafters ,

This is a very special post since this post is all about me. It's about my first attempt to design a doll and I am quite happy with the results. Meet this little girl ' Miss Polka Dot '. This was the obvious name I could come up with, could not get any interesting name so far.


 It was quite an interesting challenge. Every time I start knitting a doll I actually know how the doll will turn out , since I have the pattern and the dolls's picture,but when I started this doll I had no idea how it will turn out. I referred the books of other designers to get the idea about the size, gauge, to know how others have gone about to get a particular shape etc.

Unlike sewing where we can just cut the fabric to a desired shape, designing something with yarn is quite challenging. We should actually knit or crochet to attain a desired size, length, shape etc.

I found it quite hard when it came to the facial features and the doll's hair. I had to redo the doll's face two or three times. The dress, the hat and the shoes are attached to the doll. In future I have to design a removable attire and shoes for the doll which will be even more challenging and I have still not reached that stage I guess. The Dolly's dress is based on the red dress that I had when I was a little girl. That was my favorite frock and I had named the dress as a 'Balloon Frock' which I had purchased against my mother's wish, since the frock was above the knee my mother did not like it but I did not care for what she had to say and bought that frock which I always preferred  to wear when we went out. I liked the idea of polka dots and the sleeves of the dress.

 I have a red throw with white polka dots and that gave me an idea to make the polka dots on the frock. 


I tried to make her hair curly this is again to show something about myself. I have curly hair and when I was a kid my mum use to tie to ponytails and they use to look like balloons, and everybody use to love my hair. Through my dolls I am able to bring back my childhood days over and over again. 
I was not sure if the doll required a hat or no but I finally thought of making a hat and I feel the hat suits the doll. Overall it's a simple doll which is about 9 1/2" tall approximately excluding the hat. The doll can stand and sit. 



This doll is inspired by an illustration that I came across from a children's book which I will be reveling in my future blogs. 

I haven't written the pattern yet but meanwhile I am planning to design Polka Dot's two other friends and then I will start writing the patterns. I hope I will be successful in implementing my ideas.
Will be back soon with my next doll...

Regards,
Revathi.....


No comments:

Post a Comment