Friday, August 15, 2014

The Victorian lady.

Greetings!

The second family member of the 'Victorian Family', 'The Victorian Lady' is ready. Many wonderful novelty dolls were produced in the Victorian era and this continued to the twentieth century. One of the most popular was the upside-down or topsy-turvy, combining two dolls in one. In the past, these dolls were manufactured in many different materials, including cloth, ceramic, composition and celluloid. 
This is Jeangreenhowe's knitted version.

I used size 'zero' knitting needles and Lion brand's Bon-Bons, to get a tiny doll, that can fit inside a doll house.



The draw string purse and the parasol are knitted in an 'Edwardian Style' designed by YvonneWakefield. But, I feel the purse is kind of big for the doll. In the book the author has used British size 20, which for instance, no equivalent in America. As a result, I used size 'zero' knitting needles the smallest needle available and still could not make it smaller than this. I made done adjustments even for the parasol.


Finally, 'The Man and Wife' can pose together.


Also felt like playing along with these dolls, so made some scenes inside a doll house :)



I still have to make their children. But before I proceed, I have to make couple of other dolls for gifts. Again there will be a long break from this project :(

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment