Sunday, August 24, 2014

Making a Victorian Dolls House.

Greetings!

Just two weeks ago I discovered that my favorite designer Jeangreenhowe, has written a dolls house book. It's called 'Making a Victorian Dolls House'. As soon as I learnt about this book I started looking for it. Before Jean started designing knitted dolls, she has written different other books, which were published by different publishers. Unfortunately, all these books are out of print now. But some of the second hand books are available on Amazon. I found this book on Amazon. This book was published in 1978, so most of the pictures in the book are black and white, with very few color photos.


As usual, I don't have words to praise Jean. One might feel the same thing by seeing the cover photo of the book. Her books are always simple, beautiful and easy to make. In this book, Jean has shown that the most ordinary everyday odds and ends can be transformed into delightful miniature ornaments and furnishings. Instructions and diagrams are given to construct a miniature Victorian house with three rooms, and for making each floor and for adding suitable decor for the kitchen, parlour, master bedroom and nursery. The inhabitants of the house are not forgotten. Instructions are given to make the peg dolls and the flexible dolls. There are ideas to make 1890's Milliner's shop, and market stalls along with a peg doll dressed as a street vendor.

I enjoyed making 'The Victorian Kitchen' from Vivienne Boulton's 'The Doll House Decorator'. I am also planning to make other rooms from the book, but I am quite sure that I will definitely enjoy jean's wonderful ideas from this book as well. 

Among all the rooms in a doll house, kitchen and dining are my favorite rooms. I always wanted to make a very simple kitchen. This is one of the pictures from the book and I just loved the simplicity of the kitchen.


I will soon be trying some of the projects from the book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment