Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cardboard box Doll house.

Greetings,

Are you pinching pennies? And your lovely daughter crying for a doll house? Then the simplest solution is making one out of a cardboard box. In my last post I had mentioned that I will be designing a knitted doll from a story book, instead decided to go wild with paper and give some rest for my knitting needles and yarn. 
I had a strong and sturdy cardboard box measuring appox 15 by 18" and did not feel like throwing that so I decided to make a doll house out of it. I have been reading doll house books lately by Jean Nisbett and Kath Dalmeny. I want to collect miniatures and doll houses in my near future, but I wanted to make my first doll house in an amateur way.


I saw this picture below in Jean Nisbett's book and decided to make something similar to this cottage. The cottage in the book is a wooden house built from a kit.


Even though I love period style decoration and furniture I have not followed any Victorian, Tudor, Edwardian or any other period style. But I would love to make them in future.
I wanted to make a tutorial but this was a very big project hence decided otherwise.
I just shaped one side of the cardboard to form the roof. In the front I cut the cardboard like a door. Also made windows and the front loft to keep the potted plants. I just stuck a small rectangular cardboard box for the front loft and slightly bigger rectangular box for the balcany.
The potted plants are knitted from Jeangreenhowe's pattern. I used a pair of smaller needles and thin yarn to get this miniature size.


I used scrapbook paper and some patterned papers for the entire house. I used a paper doily for the carpet.
Inside the house I made two floors and four windows.I used sheer cloth for the window curtains.
The front door window curtains are made out of the patterned paper.



On the top floor I have made two non operating doors. A basic doll house consists of a staircase but sometimes omitted in a small two room house to save space. In this case you can give the impression that there is a staircase out of sight by fitting a non- operating door to the inside wall. This trick I learnt from Jean Nisbett's book. This trick can be applied for any room. The other door on the top floor leads to a balcony or it can be assumed that there is a hallway behind the door which leads to another room if the balcany is not shown.


I have used a paper resembling wood for the balcany and similarly the back wall is a brick wall which is a paper again. 

Once the house is built 'people' are essential for a doll house. So I decided to make some Inhabitants out of paper. I enjoyed making these dolls and these are my version of peg dolls.

Below picture consists of a nurse maid, the butler, cook and the maid servant.

These dolls were inspired by the peg dolls I saw in Jean Nisbett's book.

The paper dolls are quite easy to make. I cut two 4 by 5" of patterned stiff paper and pleated them. I kept one piece in the front and the other at the back and taped it on the top to form the waist. I glued the sides of the skirt. Above the waist I glued a wooden bead for the head marked the features with a black permanent marker. Hair can be made from yarn, thread or can be just marked with the permanent marker. Just glue two thin tubes of paper matching the dress for the hands.
This is the method to make a basic doll.
For men I just painted two wooden dowels and glued them on doll's shoes. I taped the dowels near the waist and then made a shirt and the jacket and hands  and glued a wooden bead for the head. 
Sheer ribbon, satin cloth etc can be used to give a rich and fancy look. Women measures approx 5 " and men 6" in height. These dolls are perfect for standard doll house scale(1/12).
Using Barbie doll acceceries on these dolls is an excellent idea. For example the lady is wearing a pair of Barbie shoes and a wristlet. I cut two 3" wooden dowels and placed inside the shoes. I placed these dowels under the lady's skirt. To make this permanent these dowels can be taped while making the skirt in the very first step.



These Barbie accessories are available in Walmart, Target etc and are very inexpensive.

The baby is just a wooden bead wrapped in a pattern paper. Alternatively scraps of cloth, ribbon, lace etc can be used.
The stroller is made out of walnut shells. I glued the shells in shape of a stroller and used the wooden beads and skewers  for the wheels and the handle. Then I painted it with acrylic paint. Leaving it without painting also gives a nice look.

Over all I did have a lot of fun making these paper dolls. It was indeed a pleasant and a nice change.
To extend my happiness I made some scenes with these dolls which will be continued in my next post.
Stay tuned :)

Just  sharing some comments that we exchanged on my knitting forum.


You certainly have been busy. Very creative.
 
Just,
Jynx
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 5, 14 20:36:09
a regular here
Joined: Jul 31, 11
Messages: 9107
Feedback: 24/100.0%
Location: The Narrow Way
It's story time....delightful!!!
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 5, 14 22:49:28
a regular here
Joined: May 22, 11
Messages: 18954
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Sultan, WA
Wow, that is very intricate!
 
For those who understand no explanation is necessary, for those who don't no explanation is possible.
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 5, 14 23:30:15
a regular here
Joined: May 30, 11
Messages: 2268
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: USA
You could really have some drama there! A handsome rascal, a conniving servant...
 
nitchik
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 5, 14 23:43:09
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
Thanks everyone. Had a wonderful time indeed.
 
Revathi akshay
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 5, 14 23:43:39
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
nitchik wrote:
You could really have some drama there! A handsome rascal, a conniving servant...


Yes that's a fantastic idea 
 
Revathi akshay
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 5, 14 23:45:04
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
I have some tips, instructions and ideas on my blog
www.revathiakshay.blogspot.com
 
Revathi akshay
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 07:32:57
a regular here
Joined: Jul 21, 11
Messages: 5259
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Australia
They all look amazing,very talented lady.
 
Valjean
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 07:34:02
a regular here
Joined: Apr 17, 13
Messages: 1781
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: S. E. Wisconsin, USA
Wow, great job!
 
To be kind is more important than to be right, many times what people need is not a brilliant mind speaks, but a special hear that listens.
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 07:55:43
a regular here
Joined: Oct 25, 11
Messages: 1794
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Willis, Michigan
So cool!
 
johannecw
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 08:13:02
Joined: Sep 5, 11
Messages: 1813
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Washington, Pa
what creativity !!
 
dotcarp2000
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 08:15:48
Joined: Feb 7, 11
Messages: 938
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Santa Fe New Mexico
Santa Fe NM has a folk art museum... and these would just fit so nicely in this museum... they are all lovely!
 
Miss Piggy says "Never eat more than you can lift" 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 08:57:37
a regular here
Joined: Dec 12, 11
Messages: 1071
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Florida
how wonderful....you are very creative and patient!
Blessings
 
amberdragon plays with yarn and beads.
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 09:05:27
a regular here
Joined: Jan 21, 11
Messages: 15047
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Oregon
Oh you had some fun.... that looks like you really enjoyed doing this... I love it! thanks for sharing.
 
Same Ronie... New avatar. Patterson Bridge in my town.. it is beautiful all lit up at night.
http://www.pinterest.com/ronie111/pins/
 
Cardboard box doll house and paper dolls
 
 Bookmark   Unwatch (?) 
  Author    Message  
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 09:15:29
a regular here
Joined: May 6, 12
Messages: 1281
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Very creative and fun! Nice work.
 
Live your life on purpose!
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 09:26:12
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
leslie41447 wrote:
Santa Fe NM has a folk art museum... and these would just fit so nicely in this museum... they are all lovely!


Oh that's so nice. Where is it ? I live in Dallas .
 
Revathi akshay
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 09:27:35
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
I did have lot of fun but it was exhausting at one point but I am happy with the results. Thanks for all your wonderful comments everyone.
 
Revathi akshay
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 11:43:13
Joined: Aug 11, 11
Messages: 124
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: livermore,ca
WOW. Very creative and you are a very talented lady!
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 12:12:22
a regular here
Joined: May 25, 12
Messages: 2332
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Virginia Beachh, VA
very creative,lovely.
 
Love to knit
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 15:29:10
Joined: Jan 15, 13
Messages: 11
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
You are so creative - all your own, no pattern, just a really creative mind. I think you could produce something like this even if you were on a desert island. Well Done You!
What next?

Pamela
 
Hawthorne
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 17:13:17
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
Hawthorne wrote:
You are so creative - all your own, no pattern, just a really creative mind. I think you could produce something like this even if you were on a desert island. Well Done You!
What next?

Pamela


Thanks a lot Pamela. What a wonderful comment. I think I am planning to knit a doll from Jeangreenhowe's book. I have a blog you can visit my blog if you like.
www.revathiakshay.blogspot.com

Revathi...
 
Revathi akshay
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 17:42:57
a regular here
Joined: Jan 23, 12
Messages: 1981
Feedback: 1/100.0%
Location: Bklyn, New York
Wonderful work, very industrious!
 
I hadn't planned on going out for a run this morning but that cop came out of nowhere!
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 17:44:42
a regular here
Joined: Aug 30, 11
Messages: 2643
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Buckinghamshire
Online
Heavens!! You have the patience of a saint. Every thing is so lovely. Clever you.
 
TRICIA
Lord
Keep your arm over my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Amen
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 19:52:35
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
I did Lose patience at one point. I wanted to make chandelier , may be next time . Thanks a lot though. Love to read all your comments.
 
Revathi akshay
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 6, 14 21:43:57
Joined: Nov 6, 11
Messages: 487
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Fair banks, Ak
so cute, ha ha. I enjoyed this!
 
train
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 7, 14 01:34:25
Joined: Jan 8, 14
Messages: 46
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Texas
So cute, and your story made it more fun!
 
Janicesei
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 7, 14 06:44:31
a regular here
Joined: Nov 16, 13
Messages: 1221
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: Florida
lots of work and FUN stuff!!!!
 
Keep swell,Cindi
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 13, 14 10:05:24
a regular here
Joined: Jul 30, 12
Messages: 1372
Feedback: 4/100.0%
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Online
Memories, i used shoe boxes and lots of cardboard boxes and kleenexes for mine. Wow i could spend days and weeks creating...thanks for the memories
 
The cure for anything is salt water....sweat, tears or the sea.
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 13, 14 16:06:55
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
cathie02664 wrote:
Memories, i used shoe boxes and lots of cardboard boxes and kleenexes for mine. Wow i could spend days and weeks creating...thanks for the memories


How nice. I guess you should share some pics of your doll house. Thanks for your comment 
 
Revathi akshay
 
 
Revathi akshay wrote:
How nice. I guess you should share some pics of your doll house. Thanks for your comment 


We made them when we were kids we would have 2or 3 and carry them tied together(condos before there time  )
We would make each box a different room. I remember hat boxes were oh the greatest very rarely did we get one but ooh when we did it was so much fun.
 
The cure for anything is salt water....sweat, tears or the sea.
 
 
#   ^ 
 Mar 13, 14 18:26:32
Joined: Jun 26, 12
Messages: 333
Feedback: 0/0.0%
Location: in hiding :)
Online
cathie02664 wrote:
We made them when we were kids we would have 2or 3 and carry them tied together(condos before there time  )
We would make each box a different room. I remember hat boxes were oh the greatest very rarely did we get one but ooh when we did it was so much fun.


I sense so much happiness in your comments. I am glad I brought back your wonderful childhood memories . Thus is my first doll house 
 
Revathi akshay
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment