Friday, September 20, 2013

Sense and sensibility

Sense and sensibility...

Greetings friends,

I am a great fan of classic English novels and presently reading Jane Austin's  ' Sense and Sensibility ' . I just have some 50 pages to finish and certainly I loved the book. I just thought of introducing the main characters of the story through my dolls. Fortunately I have some dolls which can suit the characters of this story.  I had made these dolls few months back from jean green Howe patterns . When ever I can tell a tale using my dolls I love that . I would certainly love to give an opportunity for my dolls to act in as many stories as possible. 

This is Mrs. Dashwood

        
   
A noble and a good hearted lady. Even though her husband did not leave enough money for her, he has left her all the china, plate and Linen in her possession. Since her daughter -in-law Fanny did not get any of these handsome china ,she is quite angry and jealous of this valuable legacy that her mother-in-law has possessed. She thought some of the plate would have been a very pleasant addition to her own stock.  

Her eldest daughter Elinor .

     
  
 A great artist who paints beautifully , whose advice was so effectual , she had an excellent heart and her feelings were strong , but she knew how to govern them. It was a knowledge that  her mother had yet to learn. 

Her second daughter Marianne . 

     
  
Her abilities were,in many respects quite equal to Elinor's . She was sensible and clever but eager in everything , her joys, her sorrows, could have no moderation. She was gorgeous, interesting, amiable and very good at playing pianoforte.

Margret , the other sister .
                   

                                   
  
 was a good  humoured  , well disposed girl. The book does not talk much about the youngest daughter . The focus is all about Elinor and Marianne.  

Those of you who love reading classic books , I strongly recommend this book. Even-though being an Indian , and having been experienced a rich Indian culture and tradition, I still love some of the English culture like afternoon tea parties, dinner parties, high society life style, English cottages , their gardens, dovecotes  , their love for literature, music, arts and crafts , victorian era costumes etc.whenever I read about these things I get fascinated about English life style. 
Well I guess I will be having a Jane Austin marathon since, I will be reading Pride and Prejudice next. 
Until next time good bye, 
Revathi....

No comments:

Post a Comment